Welcome, July! Even though it may feel as if we’re sweltering in the dead of summer, it’s actually just begun. And routines change with the seasons, particularly beauty routines. I decided to create the ultimate summer beauty round-up by interviewing my fellow Lala Girls about their favorite summer beauty splurges and saves. Molly Longest, a lovely human being and co-founder of the Lala, harnessed our Snapchat to see what some of our readers have been obsessed with this summer.
For your beautiful mugs
- SPLURGE: Isabella Roy raved about Philosophy’s Purity face wash. It’s a one-step solution perfect for a quick cleanse on those hot summer mornings. At $24 it’s a bit of a splurge, but a bottle would probably last you through the summer.
- SPLURGE: “Tarte’s BB Cream is on the splurge side, but during the summer I don’t like to wear a lot of makeup because I just sweat it off…this gives enough (but not too much!) coverage and it has SPF in it, making it my summer foundation go-to!” – Mackenzie Friedman
- SAVE: “I love Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. It’s great for sensitive skin and to use on your face so your pores don’t get all clogged. Gotta get that SPF!” –Molly Longest
- SPLURGE: “MILK makeup ‘Cooling Water’ is BOMB. Literally so perfect for summer. And, it’s makeup from the future – a STICK of water.” –Alanna Martine Kilkeary
- SAVE: “The Rimmel Stay Matte Primer is perfect for preventing your face from getting shiny without it feeling cake-y. It’s also super affordable!” –Paige DiFiore
- SAVE: One of our Snapchat submissions was the Maybelline Dream Bronze BB Cream “for when you want to be extra summery/glowing.”
- SAVE: Physician’s Formula Bronze Booster Glow-Boosting Pressed Bronzer
- SAVE: e.l.f. Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder in Fiji (Matte)
- SPLURGE: Grease Lightning Cleanser by LUSH, “it’s a lifesaver for oily skin”. –Mckenna Polich
- SAVE: “The Mario Badescu Rose Water Spray! Not only do I use this stuff to set my makeup, it is perfect for HOT days to refresh my face!” –Alyssa Johnson. “Very affordable and great for skin and hair!” –Alex Warner
- SPLURGE: Urban Decay Setting Spray “…kind of a splurge! But the people at the store told me you can cry and your makeup will stay on. Same for sweat. Love it!” –Mackenzie Friedman
For those sparkling eyes
- SPLURGE: “Too Faced’s Better Than Sex Mascara! Definitely a splurge but it does such great things to your lashes.” -Cassie Howard
- SPLURGE: “The ABH Modern Renaissance Palette. Oh. My. Word. So buttery, such warm colors, perfect for summer AND fall – which is so nice because you just splurge once! It’s so worth the buy.” –Jessica Joy De Jesus
- SAVE: ColourPop Shadows in Lala (!!!!) and Wilshire. Don’t like those two? There are so many more to choose from. And at $5 a pop? Load up!
- SAVE: Maybelline Great Lash & Brow Mascara, this is an amazing product and such a steal. I don’t like to wear tons of makeup in the summer, but will always love the look of a defined brow. This product is the perfect compromise.
- SPLURGE: Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner is “such a splurge for me!” –Diana Figueroa
- SPLURGE: Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion. “Whenever I use it underneath my sparkly eye shadow, my eyeshadow NEVER flakes! One time I even put my makeup on in the morning, didn’t do touch ups all day, and then forgot to take it off, and woke up with still no smudging. It honestly stays on until you use makeup remover to take it off. KEY product!” -Emma Ashurst
For bright and colorful (or nude) lips
- SAVE: The wet n wild Silk Finish Lip Stick is “literally $1 and stays on all day even after eating and drinking! Love it!” –Madison Baker
- SAVE: Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid Lip Color in Nude Thrill
- SAVE: ColourPop Liquid Lipsticks are “pretty reasonably priced and high quality. [These are] a good dupe for the Kylie lip kits at a way better price.” –Kara Cuzzone
- SPLURGE: Le Marc Lip Crème Lipstick by Marc Jacobs. It comes in tons of shades, but Isabella Roy has been raving about ‘Dashing’ – she’s “in love with it. It’s super moisturizing and not too expensive, so I’d definitely suggest it”.
- SAVE: I’m currently obsessed with the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. With 34 gorgeous matte shades to choose from at $6 a piece, these locale-named lipsticks will help soothe your summer wanderlust while providing smooth, matte color for hours.
- SPLURGE: At $12, the Cherry Balm Dotcom by Glossier isn’t a huge splurge, but more than your traditional lip balm. Not a cherry fan? It also comes in Rose, Mint, and Coconut.
For that tousled, summer mane
- SAVE: “Not Your Mother’s hair products are lovely & they’re sold at Target for really cheap! The dry shampoo & salt spray are lifesavers in the summer”. –Brenna McDonald
- SAVE: “OGX Coconut Oil Weightless Hydrating Oil Mist – I have super curly hair and it helps tame frizz and make my hair look shiny instead of dried out!” –Mallory Bilski
What are your favorite summer beauty splurges and saves?