Summer is in full swing with with delicious barbecues, bursting fireworks and late nights with loved ones. But nothing screams summer more than flavorful citrus fruit. This twist on the classic home cooked favorite of chicken and rice, blends the tastiness of lime and pineapple with the homemade staple to create a meal packed with punch.
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of minced onion flakes
- 2 1/2 tbsp of organic rosemary
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of fresh onions
- 1 cup of green onions
- 1 1/2 cups of yellow and red sweet peppers
- 6 chicken breasts
1, Preheat the oven to 450. Then mix the black pepper, garlic powder, onion flakes, rosemary, sugar and lime juice to create a marinade. A great way to cut cooking time is to marinate the chicken over night to let the lime really infused into the chicken. After mixing the marinade, completely line a deep pan with foil then place the chicken in the pan and pour the lime infused mixture on both sides of all the chicken breasts.
2. Cover the marinated lime chicken with foil to keep the flavors circulating while in the oven and then bake the chicken at 450 for thirty minutes. While it’s baking we can prep some delicious veggies.
3. Next we are going to cut the fresh onions, green onions and sweet peppers in to stripes this is going to add bright and bold summery colors to match the rosemary lime punch the chicken will have. Additionally we are going to add some slices of lemon and lime to the bunch.
4. After the chicken has been baking for thirty minutes, uncover and add the onions, peppers, lime and lemon slices in to the pan. Pour 1/4 cup of water and slice the butter and place on each chicken breast and around the vegetables.
5. Reduce the oven to 325 for another thirty minutes and recover to allow the onions and peppers to soften and absorb the lime juice and the water to evaporate and the chicken is complete. Now for the rice…
1 cup of uncooked white rice
1/2 cup of diced pineapple
1/2 cup of pineapple juice
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of lime zest
1/4 cup of green onions
2 1/2 tsp butter
2 tbsp of lime juice
1. The rice is super simple. First boil the uncooked rice with the water, pineapple juice, butter, lime zest and salt. Make sure to stir so the rice does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
2. When the water starts to absorb at about 5 minutes, reduce the heat setting to medium and continue to cook until the rice is soft and all the water has been absorbed for another 15 minutes. Then stir in the lime juice and chopped green onions and it will be ready to serve.
When you plate both dishes together, the acidity of the lime from the chicken marries perfectly with the sweetness of the pineapple rice creating a dish exploding with tastes of summer that your friends and family are sure to enjoy. Bon Appétit!