Nature’s golden syrup shouldn’t be limited to just cooking. Honey has a variety of health benefits that help heal the body naturally. Check out the following list and maybe you’ll see why we’re so crazed with this superfood!
- Throat Lozenge: Skip the artificially-flavored cough syrups when you have a scratchy throat! Studies show that honey actually works better than commercial cough syrups and lozenges in soothing sore throats. This magical syrup coats your throat and the sweet taste triggers nerves that make your throat less susceptible to coughing. A great alternative to cherry cough drops, in our opinion!
- Energy Source: Honey is a natural energy source rich in carbohydrates and is especially helpful for building glycogen, an important energy source for athletes. Add honey to your water to give you a boost during your workouts. Mix honey with fruits, vegetables, and peanut butter to keep your energy levels high throughout the day!
- Skin Care: You’ll find honey in a variety of moisturizers, cleansers, shampoos and conditioners because honey is a humectant, meaning it attracts and retains moisture. Honey also has antimicrobial properties and can provide excellent skin care. This exfoliating mask can make your skin glow with honey and other natural ingredients.
- Hair Mask: So we’ve established honey is extremely moisturizing–why not use these golden globs on your lovely locks? Honey can help retain moisture in hair follicles, get rid of a flaky scalp, and promotes shine and cleanliness. Check out this simple the Lala recipe for an all-natural hair mask that uses honey.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease: Have high cholesterol? Honey can even help keep your arteries clear. Consider mixing honey and cinnamon on a regular basis to decrease the risk of heart attacks and reduce cholesterol by up to 10%. Add 1-2 teaspoons of honey to 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon and warm water, and drink daily.
- Natural Detox: Some nutritionists recommend starting the day by drinking warm water with the juice of one lemon and 1 tablespoon of honey. Drinking this solution every morning can help rid your body of toxins and cleanse the liver.
- Wound Treatment: Honey has been used as a treatment for open wounds and burns for hundreds of years! Honey is high in potassium, meaning it contains minerals that are beneficial and fight off harmful bacteria. It’s also a soothing antiseptic when directly applied onto a wound. If you’re interested in this natural healing process, look for medicinal honey to treat your wounds.
- Boosts Immune System: Organic honey is packed with a variety of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that fight bacteria and help strengthen your immune system. You’re less likely to get colds and the flu when you are treating your body with honey. To fight viruses and harmful bacteria, drink 1-2 teaspoons of honey mixed with warm water every morning.
- Improved Sleep & Relaxation: Honey raises insulin and allows tryptophan, the compound that induces sleepiness, to enter the brain more easily. A spoonful of honey before you go to sleep may be the sweetest way to sweet dreams.