For about three months during my senior year of high school, my best friend and I would escape school every day to spend our special-senior-extended lunch breaks binge-watching Gilmore Girls. She had seen the entire show multiple times all the way through, and I had never seen a single episode. We finished the whole series in those few months.
I was immersed in Stars Hollow, in love with all the characters, and completely intoxicated by Lorelai’s and Rory’s quick wit. I completely related to the Girls’ boy troubles, family issues, love of literature and clothes, and junk food obsessions. I was more or less the same age as Rory in any given season and still as juvenile and spunky as Lorelai; the show is so well-written that it made me feel understood.
Just like the Gilmore Girls, I grew up–but my love for Stars Hollow never diminished; if anything, it grew. But now I’m a big kid in college and I can DRINK!!! So for all my fellow GG fans, I have made a nifty guide to the Ultimate Gilmore Girls Drinking Game, just in time for the upcoming GG spin-off.
Play along with me as I re-binge the series in preparation for November’s Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and as I drunkenly laugh and weep during said Netflix special.
***PSA: Please drink responsibly and remember that this game can also safely be played with water, sparkling cider, chocolate milk, etc.!
For a printable PDF version: the-ultimate-gilmore-girls-party-game.
Take a sip of your drink every time…
- Lorelai and Rory drink coffee
- Lorelai and Rory make a pop culture reference
- Rory is reading
- Taylor gets mad about something. Like, anything.
- Richard is shown reading the newspaper
- You hear the words “Chilton,” “Harvard,” or “Yale”
- A new maid is mentioned/appears/called for at Emily and Richard’s house
- Emily talks about any one of her hobbies (shopping, charity events and auctions, water aerobics class, etc.)
- Michel answers the phone at either the Independence Inn or the Dragonfly Inn
- Miss Patty says something inappropriate
- Kirk mentions his mother
- Lorelai and Rory order takeout
- A scene takes place in Luke’s Diner
- Sookie is seen cooking or baking
Take a shot every time…
- Christopher shows up (actually, take two shots for this)
- Dean is seen wearing his Doose’s Market apron
- Paris speaks a foreign language
- Madeline and Louise talk about or talk to boys
- Miss Patty is seen dancing or leading a dance class
- Luke and Jess fight
- Jess is reading
- Colin and Finn appear
- TOWN MEETING BEGINS
- FRIDAY DINNER BEGINS
Pick a friend to take a shot whenever…
- Rory and Dean/Jess/Logan kiss
- Luke does something nice for Lorelai and/or Rory
- Rory and Lane OR Lorelai and Sookie share a cute BFF moment
- A scene takes place in Kim’s Antiques
- Rory and Paris are in their dorm or apartment together
- Emily or Richard makes a drink for someone from their drink cart
Down your drink whenever…
- Emily asks Lorelai to marry Christopher
- Babette shares some hot gossip
- Paris gets mad at someone/reminds them that she is the ultimate bad bitch (in a good way)
- Stars Hollow holds a major event (Bid on a Basket, Living Art Festival, etc.)
- Kim mentions God/Jesus/The Bible/going to church
- Jackson talks about vegetables
- Luke is seen wearing anything besides a baseball cap and flannel/plaid shirt
- Lane’s band plays
- Logan is shown being very drunk
- There is any kind of flashback sequence
- You come across a famous Gilmore Girls line that has probably been turned into some kind of meme or gif (example: “Oy with the poodles already!”)
- The town troubadour appears
- Richard and Emily express that they are proud of and love Lorelai
- Luke and Lorelai kiss
And lastly, take flight-shots while watching Kirk’s brilliant short film.