Summertime is just around the corner, and that means plenty of time to get some fresh air and hit the great outdoors. With how plugged in our society is today, there is nothing more refreshing, and often more needed, than to leave it all behind. Not sure where to start? We’ve got your back.
Light breathable clothes, weatherproof jacket, durable backpack. We trust that you know all the basics, but here is a round up of the little extras you may forget.
Sneakers may suffice for a casual walk around the block, but when it comes to outdoor activity, you’ll want something with grip and ankle support. Here are some of our top picks.
- For sand or water: Chacos
- For the urban fashionista wanderer: Teva
- For the serious outdoorswoman: Merrell
Water is seriously important when it comes to sustaining long days outdoors. We recommend upping your usual water game to something a bit more fit for intense conditions such as:
- LifeStraw: Straw purifies water so you can sip from lakes and streams when your resources are low
- Klean Kanteens and Hydro Flasks come in all sizes and colors, insulate like a boss, and are lightweight.
All the Random Extras:
- The multiclava: One accessory, so many options. Headband, face mask, hat, scarf. You name it.
- Waterproof bag: If water activities appeal to you, consider a floatable, waterproof bag where you can store your phone and any other valuables in case of an unfortunate spill
- Portable hammock: You never know when the inspiration for a nap will strike you on a long journey.
- Solar power charger: Don’t lose your link to the real-world in case of emergency.
- Flashlights and lanterns: If you plan for a night adventure, or even just as a precaution, a flashlight is a must. Think beyond basic with headlamps, clickable lanterns, and solar powered items so you can be hands-free.
- First-aid kits: Because you never know
You can make getting outdoors as easy or as complicated as you’d like. Simply run to the nearest park or step into your backyard, but if you want something more serious, consider these options:
- Find all the parks, trails, and seriously breathtaking spots from the U.S. National Park Service park finder
- Wild Women Expeditions: Check adventures off your bucket list that you never even knew you had with this women-led expedition service. Gather your girl squad and choose your adventure whether it be hiking New Zealand, stand up paddling in Ontario, or trekking through Thailand
- Trail Mavens: This organization is focused on creating unique outdoor experiences for urban women. So you don’t have to be shy if you’ve never pitched a tent or started a fire. For a minimal cost, you and your girl gang can take a weekend getaway and go Wine Country Camping, Angel Island backpacking, and more. Each trip has an amazingly balanced itinerary that incorporates relaxation, learning, and bucket-list worthy experiences.
- She Explores: While not a tour group or expedition leader, this beautifully designed site curates powerful stories or women in the great outdoors and offers insightful, inspirational tips and narratives along the way. It’s a quick way to fuel your wanderlust.
Image by Sarah Nichole