Winter is upon us and that means a couple of things for the collegiate fashion lover. You want cute clothes. You want warm clothes. And you want affordable clothes. Well look no further, babe. We pulled together a list of hot-ticket items to kick start your winter wardrobe. Check out the assortment below for some cozy and chic, budget-friendly picks we recommend adding to your closet. Miranda Priestly would be proud.
Black Slit Skinnies
Black skinnies are a must have for the fashion conscious girl’s winter wardrobe. They go with every color under the sun, flatter most body types, and can be dressed up or down. What’s not to like? Update your look by going for this pair with trendy slits on either knee, a staple in many fashion guru’s closets.
Long Sleeve Shift Dress
This swingy sweater dress is a dream for the girl who wants to look classy without sacrificing comfort. Pair it with tights, boots, and a long necklace for an effortlessly chic outfit.
Yes, they may have been dorky a few years ago, but turtlenecks are back in a big way. We love this one in a cranberry hue for an instantly cozy, not to mention stylish winter staple.
Leather Sleeved Anorak
This anorak stands out in a sea of plain black coats. Leather sleeves lend the garment plenty of spunk and personality. During winter, your coat is the only part of your outfit most people will see you wearing. Choosing a garment with the perfect blend of function and flair -like this piece- gives you the best of both worlds.
We’re obsessed with this button-down suede leather skirt from Abercrombie. The luxurious material looks fab with a cropped long sleeve tee for a sharp ensemble, or an oversize sweater for cozier days.
Over the Knee Boots
A lot of gals see over-the-knee boots as a trend they cannot, will not, and should not try out. BUT we think the fashion savvy Lala girl would love the instant high fashion feel of this current trend. Wear them with a dress, skirt and tights, or add a kick to your typical jeans and sweater get-up. C’mon go for it.
Capes are a thing right now and we’re not complaining. Who wouldn’t want to basically get to wear a blanket around and look hella stylish at the same time? We love this plaid pattern from H&M to throw on over a sweater or long sleeve tee.
There’s no denying that the 70’s has been the “it” decade in fashion recently. This bell sleeve blouse is a fun take on the trend, and is wearable with any bottom. Channel your inner “Hot Donna” and pair with flares, or stick to skinnies for a modern look.
Booties are a wardrobe staple when it comes to cold weather fashion. We chose this classic pair in black leather for a sleek shoe that will match 99% of your closet. (The other 1%? We’re looking at you, brown belt.)
An oversize cardigan is an essential item for winter style, seeing as it can be thrown on over most outfits to make them cold-weather proof. We love Forever 21’s pale gray cardigan in a straight silhouette for a sophisticated look.
Heels are fab and all, but walking around campus all day with a backpack full of chunky textbooks requires some seriously comfy footwear. Luckily we found the best of fashion and athleisure in these charming Adidas sneakers from Urban Outfitters. Fashion moguls have been wearing sneakers with everything from casual skinnies to formal dresses lately, and we’re digging it.
You may have thrown out your last pair well before you started high school, but the bell bottoms are back baby. We love this pair from Express in a flattering dark wash. Pair with heeled booties to make your legs look crazy long. Lizzie McGuire would be so proud.
Every accessory seems to rotate in and out of popularity, and right now, rings are having a moment. We love this set of five from H&M, in a mixture of neutral and candy-like colors. Slide a couple on to add some extra pizzaz to your look.
Off the Shoulder Top
The off the shoulder top is another look we can thank the 70’s for. This striped top from Forever 21 looks chic with skinny jeans, flares, or an A-line skirt. Plus it shows off your shoulders, and looks like it was plucked straight from the closet of Audrey Hepburn. Yes, please.
Okay, so maybe you wouldn’t wear these in everyday life, but with the winter come the holidays. With the holidays come the holiday parties. With the holiday parties comes the need for gold sequin pants. It’s always a good idea to have a wild piece on hand in case a special event sneaks up on you, and these bad boys are too fun to pass up. Who wouldn’t want to look as shimmery as the glass of champagne in their hand? Beats us.
image via Anna Schultz