Okay, social media— we get it. 2016 was the worst. Yes, 2016 was fraught with tragic loss, political madness, and innumerable social injustices, but it would be completely unfair to write 2016 off as the “worst year ever”. Believe it or not, 2016 had some pretty good moments, too. So without further ado, here is a list of 10 things that prove 2016 was not as bad as you probably thought it was:
- The Election— No, I’m not joking. Whatever your political stances may be, it is undeniable that this election was a milestone for women. Not only was a woman a major party candidate, but a record number of minority women were elected into office. California Attorney General Kamala Harris will be the first Indian American ever to serve in the US Senate, and Attorney General Catherine Cortez Mazto’s win in Nevada marks the election of the first Latina senator. These women are only two of twenty one women that will make up the 115th Congress this coming year—a record breaking number of women!
- The Rio Olympics introduced Team Refugee comprised of ten athletes with refugee status who competed in these historic games not under their home countries’ flags but under the Olympic banner.
- This year it was decided that Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill. That’s right, Tubman, a former slave and abolitionist, will replace Jackson, a former slave owner, in the most historic currency change our country has ever seen. (Can I get a hell yea?!)
- In case you needed your childhood dreams fulfilled, J.K. Rowling released new Harry Potter books this year including Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screen Play.
- The future is clearly upon us because virtual reality goggles are finally a thing.
- Finding Dory came out this year, and Finding Nemo fans only had to wait 13 years.
- After 108 years, the Cubs finally won the World Series. It doesn’t matter if you like baseball or even root for the Cubs—you can’t not be happy for these underdogs.
- The ALS Association has targeted a gene that may possibly be linked to disease therapy thanks to the money raised from the Ice Bucket Challenge. This is truly a milestone in the journey to find a cure for ALS.
- Our favorite artists released amazing new music in 2016. With Beyonce’s Lemonade and Childish Gambino’s “Awaken, My Love!” what more could you ask for.
- Leonardo DiCaprio finally won an Oscar for Best Actor in his role in The Revenant after five nominations since 1994. A moment of silence, please.
So while everyone on your feed is bashing this year, remember to focus on the positive things this year brought you, and reflect thoughtfully on the negative. Attitude is everything, so enter 2017 with a great one.
Happy New Year! xx